Note: This post was originally written for AfterFlood.in, a website with information to help people recover after the 2018 Kerala Floods. My mother, who works in the insurance industry helped me write this. I’m re-publishing it in my blog with the hope that it reaches a wider audience. Please visit AfterFlood for more resources on post-flood recovery.
The PSU general insurance companies have put systems in place to expediate processing of claims for the 2018 Kerala Floods. Here are some resources for claiming insurance.
PSU Insurer Contact Details
The insurers have contact details established to aid with claims processing. Here they are for your convenience (Source: The News Minute).
National Insurance Co Ltd
- Claim hub: 9188044186
- Email: email@example.com
New India Assurance Co Ltd
- Toll-free number 18002091415
Oriental Insurance Co Ltd
- Toll-free number 1800-11-8485
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
United India Insurance Co Ltd
- Vehicle claims: 8921792522
- Other claims: 9388643066
- Email: email@example.com
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
Special teams have been set up in 14 district alongside officers to offer a special 24-hour assistance.
- Trivandrum – 9482419551
- Kollam – 9496301011
- Palakad – 9447839123
- Thrissur – 9447315770
- Ernakulam – 8075947267
- Kottayam – 9847167946
- Idukki – 9895884618
- Pathanamthitta – 9961993580
- Alappuzha – 9746817205
- Kozhikode – 9496710567
- Wayanad – 9496220783
- Kannur – 9496414055
- Kasargod – 9447951431
- Malappuram – 9446024966
- Mahi – 9447468899
- 24×7 Helpline for Kerala – 8448180966
Regardless of whether you have purchased an insurance from them, PolicyBazaar is offering a 24×7 helpline to assist with the insurance claiming process. Source: Business Standard.
Standard Claims Process
The claims process looks something like this:
- First an intimation of claim by letter or mail will need to be given immediately based on which a surveyor will be appointed for assessing the loss.
- The surveyor need to be provided with all documents like stock register, purchases and sales register, balance sheet, etc.
- The surveyor He will also see if the all items are insured and for the correct value.
- Accordingly loss assessment will be done.
- If the amount insured is less than the actual value claim will be proportionately reduced.
- On receipt of survey report, claim will be settled.
Things You Can Do to Expediate Claims
- If you have multiple kinds of insurance for different items (vehicle insurance for vehicles, property insurance for household and posessions, etc) it is recommended that you categorize what item is applicable to which policy and then make a list of items that need to be claimed.
- If your vehicle got submerged in water, take photos of it before towing it to a workshop.
- Take as many photos of your house as you can, so that you can cover different items that have been damaged.
- You can use photos of items inside your house before the flood as proof while accounting for what has been lost.
- If you have made any purchases online or otherwise have receipts that haven’t been washed away, these also help expediate the claims process.
Extra Services by Companies
- Some corporations are offering free repairs and other services. Read this article by The News Minute to learn more.
- Private Insurers have simplified documentation requirement for claims and have said that a municipal death certificate, or death dertificate by any competent government authority like local government of Kerala, armed forces, government hospitals or police authority will suffice.
- Bajaj Alliance Life has said “Death and disability claims for customers from these States will be processed on priority, and the company will make best efforts to settle maximum claims within 72 hours of claim registration”
- Max Bupa has said they’d ensure all claims from Kerala get immediate attention and all eligible claims are processed on a cashless basis and on a priority.
- Source for the last 3 points: The Hindu Business Line